Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Jesus of Christmas

As Christmas Day draws closer, my children get more and more excited! The house is decorated, presents are starting to arrive at our home, we start to wrap and deliver presents, bake cookies, plan dinner parties and the list goes on and on...

The greatest challenge for me as a mom during this very busy and festive season is to make sure my family is focused on why we celebrate Christmas --- to steer my children's attention away from the hustle and bustle of the season and towards the Baby in the manger!

My daughter is getting baptized this coming Sunday (this will surely have its own blog entry after the weekend, I can't wait!) and one of her favourite verses from the Bible which she has included in her testimony is from Luke 2:10-11. When I asked her why this is one of her all-time favourites, she said because without Christmas, there would be no Easter! So true --- that is precisely why Christmas is so significant!

As a family, we have a Christmas morning tradition. Before we open presents, we gather together in our living room and we read the Christmas story from the Bible and then we pray. After that, each family member gives Jesus a birthday present. This present comes in the form of words, where we each share with one another our desire of what we would like to do for Jesus in the coming year. It surely is a Christmas morning tradition that we intend to practice for as long as we possibly can!

"But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord."
---Luke 2:10-11 NIV

1 comment:

  1. I luv christmas! My favourite christmas line is:
    Jesus is the reason for the season!

    ReplyDelete