Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thoughts On Easter...

First off, here's a fun photo of my kids with their cousins (from my side of the family) taken on Easter Sunday as we gathered together to share an Easter meal.

It is now Tuesday morning. As I sit here to begin my work week in the quietness of my home office (note: the kids are now back at school!) I take a moment to reflect back on the weekend that just passed. Easter is indeed a great reminder of why we fully give ourselves away for the work of God. Because of what our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, did for us on the cross and because of His resurrection, our labour in Him is never in vain! I love these verses from 1 Corinthians 15:51-58 (NIV) ---
"Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed — in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory. Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
What an awesome picture! Can you visualize it? It is truly amazing! This is why we must give ourselves away tirelessly --- because people need to hear of God's saving grace. As part of the core team of The Sanctuary Pickering, we have been going through a 6-week leadership training course. The leader said something that really stuck with me. He said that even though people are spiritual beings, most act like human beings! Especially to those of us who have access to the power of the Holy Spirit in us: are we living (as we should) like spiritual beings having a human experience or are we living like human beings having a spiritual experience? That spoke volumes to me. A lot of times, I am limited by what I think is humanly possible. I often do not take into account that I am able to "do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 (NASB). What an awesome thought! May we all live like spiritual beings having a human experience and know that we can "overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13 (NIV).

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." ---1 Peter 4:10-12 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment