Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Spring!

Welcome April and WELCOME SPRING! As the saying goes --- "April showers bring May flowers". I love Spring's arrival because it means that I can soon garden again! I am anticipating the melting away of the last bit of snow and ice so that I can get into my garden sooner than later.

The arrival of April also means that March is now behind me. March was busy but it was truly a lot of fun! Last Saturday was Destination Imagination Tournament Day. My daughter's team, Team AstroZ, came in 4th place overall, competing against 12 other teams from all over Ontario doing Challenge A: Obstacles, Of Course! I am soooo proud of them. All six team members put forth their best effort! They placed first in two categories (Side Trips and Story) and placed second in their Instant Challenge. Their overall score placed them in 4th place. As much as I would like to discuss their performance here, I can't. There are still teams waiting to compete with this same challenge all over North America and the solutions are not to be shared at this point (including photos), especially over the Internet. So, you'll just have to trust me when I say that Team AstroZ's solution was out-of-this-world! :-)

My son also took part in Destination Imagination. His team is a Rising Stars team called The Hurricanes and they did the Rising Stars Team Challenge: TwisDId History! This age group does not compete. They present their solution to a panel of appraisers who offer constructive comments to encourage these children to come back and compete once they hit Grade 3. My son did very well in his role of "scientist". I must say that their solution was out-of-this-world as well!

All in all, D.I. was an awesome experience for both children! They acquired life skills that they wouldn't have normally learned in a classroom setting. As for me, I am looking forward to managing another team next year. It has definitely been a learning experience for me as well. I truly enjoyed my role as Team Manager!

Since D.I. is now over, starting this week we have nothing planned during the after-school hours! It would be great if the snow and ice melt away right about now because the garden is starting to call my name!

"See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance." ---Song of Solomon 2:11-13 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment