Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Making Music

My kids have been taking music lessons for some time now. While they didn't complain about it, I had this impression/feeling that they weren't really having a whole lot of fun. It was just another lesson to go to... 

Well, during the summer months, my sister mentioned to me that she is starting my niece on piano lessons. She said that her friend, the music teacher, is quite talented. Not only can he teach a student to read chords, as well as read music for the piano, he can play the trombone as well. 

Well, I was interested, to say the least. My son had the trombone picked out as his instrument ever since he was very little. This year, he is finally big enough to start learning the trombone. My daughter, on the other hand, has always been interested to learn how to read chords and play them on the piano. 

We started the lessons a couple of weeks ago and both kids love their new teacher! This is a photo of them practicing together:


Just for the record, I have never seen them so eager to practice their music! I am very happy to hear them making music down in the basement. All of a sudden, it is something FUN to do, not just something that they have to do!

In fact, my daughter has progressed so much that she is going to play on the youth worship band at church two Sundays from now. I am soooooo looking forward to it. I can't help but think back to when I started playing the piano at church --- I was about my daughter's age as well! Fond memories...

Psalm 92:1-3 (NIV) --- "It is good to praise the Lord and make music to Your name, O Most High, to proclaim Your love in the morning and Your faithfulness at night, to the music of the ten-stringed lyre and the melody of the harp."

No comments:

Post a Comment