Saturday, January 9, 2010

Keeping It Real...

Since I started blogging, I've tried to keep this blog real... a real representation of what's going on in my life and my thoughts. But there is always that struggle to find a balance... to decide whether to post something or not. For example: happy things will sometimes sound like I'm bragging and sad things will often sound like I'm complaining --- so I'm always asking myself what that good balance looks like on a blog.

Well, I can tell you that this blog post is one of those that I've had to contemplate whether or not to post... but here I am tapping away at my keyboard... so I guess this will get posted in the end!

So here it goes...

To say that the New Year started off rather shaky for us is definitely an understatement! In the last couple of weeks leading up to the New Year, life has not been smooth sailing. First off, hubby cut his eyelid very badly in a bizarre accident at church while he was setting up the A/V system. Another centimetre or so and he would have injured his eye. His eyelid was bruised for quite some time and he is now sporting a two-inch long scar.

Then, a few days before Christmas he was involved in a car accident. Our car is now fixed, by the way!

Then on Christmas Eve, I was confronted with an ugly situation which dredged up a whole gamut of emotions that brought back memories of traumas experienced during my childhood. It was not easy to keep my emotions in check so that my family and I could enjoy celebrating Christmas the following day. Because of this incident, the days that followed Christmas were extremely difficult for me emotionally... I am on the mend now but every now and then, I still find myself reliving some of the ugly memories!

Then, last week hubby injured his ankle while playing basketball at our church's sports drop-in programme. He is still on crutches and is wearing an air cast. His mobility is limited therefore he hasn't been able to really work all week...

I've also been struggling with what to feel about or say to a few people/families at our church who have decided that church planting and community outreach is just plain tough therefore deciding that the grass is greener on the other side... sigh! I'm at a lost for words about this, I think...

All of the above in just three short weeks! Wait... before you think that this post is just way too depressing to finish reading... I agree with you!!! I've been thinking a lot these few days... do I let these things drag me down? Of course not. But how do I rise above these things? There is only one answer and it is to look towards God... to turn my eyes upon Jesus!

The following verses have been invaluable to me these few weeks:

Romans 8:28-31 (NIV)
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Isaiah 40:28-31 (NIV)
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Psalm 121: 7-8 (NIV)
The Lord will keep you from all harm — he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

Galatians 6:8-10 (NIV)
The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

The realities of life can really stink sometimes... but I have long come to realize that life isn't about me after all... it is all about God. And, I am truly blessed because my Heavenly Father is always there for me! Therefore I will rejoice and be glad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment