Monday, June 21, 2010

First Day of Summer

It's the first day of summer... and it's one day past Father's Day.  I am indeed blessed beyond measure to have a hubby who is a great and awesome father to our children! Just like the song I Want To Be Just Like You says...
Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You 
'Cause he wants to be like me
... I am ever grateful to my Heavenly Father for graciously giving me a wonderful gift in my hubby --- Happy Father's Day to the grace of my life!

Now, summer... it's here and school will be out in just one week's time!  Our household will have a busy summer ahead of us as our church hosts eight weeks of summer sports day camp specifically targeted to low-income families and children in difficult home situations.  It has been encouraging to see many families from our target areas start to register their children... could it possibly be that we are finally breaking ground where we originally wanted to at the start of this church plant?

This thought brings many emotions into my soul... to be quite honest, this (by far) has been the most challenging and frustrating season for me in the life of this church plant.  There is so much that we can do as a church to make a difference where God has placed us but there is so little motivation in most of our people to effect this difference!  This verse pretty much sums it up for me...

When he looked out over the crowds, his heart broke. So confused and aimless they were, like sheep with no shepherd. "What a huge harvest!" he said to his disciples. "How few workers! On your knees and pray for harvest hands!" ---Matthew 9:37-38 (The Message)

So, it is okay for me to feel challenged and frustrated!  Even Jesus noticed the huge harvest with very few workers to do the work.  We are to pray, pray, pray --- that is what this verse is teaching me to do... then HE will send us harvest hands.  It is an amazing, yet simple, promise which I am no doubt clinging to right now.

With that in mind... summer, we welcome you!  Bring it on... for the Lord of the Harvest will send out workers into his harvest field.

Here I am.  Lord, send me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment