Thursday, September 16, 2010

Teaching At Home...

Ever since our kids were born, we have taken these verses from Deuteronomy (on how we should be teaching our children about God) quite seriously...
Listen, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. ---Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (NLT)
It is of utmost priority and importance to us that we teach our kids everything we believe about God... and for them to make it their own! While hands down the most effective way of teaching is by living a God-life... by modeling what it means to "be" a Christian in this fallen world, following close behind in second place is actual teaching... as in using actual curriculum kind-of-teaching --- devotionals, DVDs, books.
 
Right now, we are going through Focus on the Family's 10-lesson DVD-based curriculum called Does God Exist.
 
I can say that this is one of the best curriculum I've come across so far! What I truly like about it is that it doesn't assume the viewer already believes that God exists. It presents evidence... scientific ones... to prove the existence of God.
 
It is geared towards high-school kids which made me think twice about buying it. I bought it anyway thinking we'd just put it away for later if it's too "deep" for my children to understand. I was soooo wrong. Both my children, ages 13 and 10, love it!
 
We are at the tail-end of it now... a few more lessons to go and we're done. So glad I found this!!! Hopefully, I'll be able to find more of the same. Definitely, two thumbs up from me for Focus on the Family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment