Saturday, January 22, 2011

Why Change?

After writing yesterday's very long blog post, my mind is still deep in thought... specifically on why God orchestrates change in the rhythms of our lives.

I don't often welcome change with an open heart because I am such a creature of habit.  But when I finally allow change to happen, I see God's fingerprints all over the mystery and the beauty of change!  It has God's grace written all over it... designed to shape and mold us into the masterpiece that He's created us to be.

I am reminded of this quote by Kathy Troccoli:
I know God is speaking to me when, in spite of my initial struggle, an undeniable release and peace follows when I have obeyed His voice. When I finally do the thing He has been nudging me to do, whether it's letting something or someone go, or taking a step toward the unknown, there is a deep calm in my soul. Where my heart and mind were once filled with terrible angst, I am now filled with a supernatural peace.
I just love this!  It is just so true.

I also read this article today from the Orange Parents blog.  It talks about why change should be a constant in our family's lives, in our parenting.  I found a couple of points mentioned in the article to be very interesting.  They are thoughts on how to avoid the dangers that come with the status quo as we seek to grow our children in God's ways.

Here are those thoughts from the article:
The problem is that the status quo can easily drift from what we want it to be. And before we know it our time with our kids is up.

So what do you do to avoid this? Here are a few things that help me break through the status quo:
  • Getting a clear picture of the end in mind. I imagine my life, my kids, my family ten years from now and ask “what do I want to be true”?
  • Having a life mission bigger than me. My faith moves me to a greater vision…and having a personal Saviour motivates me to personal action. Most of what I want to do is beyond my ability, but Christ empowers in ways we can never fully empower ourselves.
When these things are at work in my life, change becomes possible. If I really focus on them…change becomes inevitable.
Great points... points that I think hubby and I already employ in our family.  Perhaps that is why God has brought change to our family's rhythm this New Year.  I am thankful that God so graciously continues to give our family opportunities to be His hands and His feet in this hurting world.  
 
Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

2 comments:

  1. Your posts about your Journey and change all gave me goose bumps! It's so beautiful to see and read about your family following God's leading. I will be praying for you and your family as God continues to lead you -- even if it means change.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete