Tuesday, March 15, 2011

When The Earth Moved...

The situation in Japan is occupying my heart and mind this week and I am honestly finding it difficult to process everything...

While we slept soundly last Friday {March 11}, a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and powerful tsunami devastated the island of Japan.  We've all seen the video footage and the photos... the images gripped me, especially those of little children and elderly people!  Not only is the devastation unimaginable, they are now also having to deal with a nuclear emergency as a result of the earthquake and tsunami.

For a few days... our family sat glued to the TV and the computer screen with a feeling of helplessness.  This morning, I was so happy to find out that Samaritan's Purse is now on the ground in Japan!  Among many things, they are "organizing a 747 cargo jet to airlift emergency relief such as blankets, hygiene supplies, heavy-duty plastic shelter materials, and water filtration systems. The plane is scheduled to depart for Japan on Friday {March 18}."

Our family will be donating funds to support Samaritan's Purse in their mission to deliver emergency aid to Japan.  Will you join us?  Every dollar helps!!!  Thank you so much for your generousity!

As I pray for Japan and as our family donate money towards relief efforts, I am still left with this sense of helplessness.  It seems surreal to be sitting right here at my desk typing this blog post while halfway around the globe there is utter devastation!

Mothers separated from their children... families losing loved ones... people losing everything...

As I keep pondering these things, I arrive at the same place each time... there is only One who makes perfect sense... One who comforts... One who reconciles  all things.  He is the only One whom I can cling to, whose hand I can hold, whose heart I can trust!

And, I sense Him saying to me: This is the time to keep on unwrapping LOVE in this world {right where you are} because everywhere is brokenness, everywhere is devastation, everywhere is people in need of compassion!

So our family does precisely that!  This week is March Break and we've chosen the organization called UrbanPromise Toronto for us to unwrap LOVE at!  This organization offers a free March Break camp for 120 under-privileged children who live in government housing located in three of the neediest communities in Toronto.  Our family, together with two other families we know, are providing all the snack and lunch foods for this camp!

Today, my kids and I spent the morning at UrbanPromise... what a gift and blessing it was for us to witness this camp in action!  God is truly good... He is amazing... He is LOVE!

Here is my girl sitting with some of the children and their camp leaders!

I see it now... as our family continues to pray for the people of Japan and as we donate funds towards relief efforts, I don't need to feel helpless because I have a God who is in control, who's got the whole world in His hands!

All we need to do is continue to be His hands and His feet... being sensitive to the prompting of His Spirit as to where He would like us to go!

Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

1 comment:

  1. I cannot get over what is happening in Japan. I wish there was more that we could do than prayers and sending $$$. I guess not all of us are in a position to head over to help though and God knows our hearts.

    What a GREAT week for your family. I love the work that you are able to do in your community!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete