Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Letter from My Girl

Last night, my girl graduated from Grade 8 with Honours and three awards --- Principal's Award for Student Leadership, Academic Achievement Award and Mathematics Award. Where exactly did the time go?!? Wasn't she just born yesterday???


We are so very proud of the awesome young lady that she has grown up to be... one who is beautiful, not only on the outside, but more importantly, beautiful on the inside. Her heart of compassion shines through in everything she does. Our prayer is that she will, as always, look to God in all things.

"He is the spring from which this river called life flows from. He has plans, places and purposes that time's current will carry our baby girl to... onto Kingdom dreams!" ~ Paraphrased from a blog post by Ann Voskamp, A Holy Experience.

Keep dreaming BIG, baby girl!
We love you very much!!!

My heart beamed at the graduation ceremony... so full of joy. Happy tears started to trickle but I managed not to cry too much. Today, my girl came home from the second-last day of school with a letter she's written to hubby and me... well, let's just say the floodgates opened and the tears flowed. I think I saw some on hubby's eyes too as he read the letter. Shhh... don't tell him I told you all! ;-)

The letter is a story of God's grace. You see, when my baby girl was plopped on my chest that one wintry night fourteen years ago, hubby and I had absolutely no idea how to parent, let alone how to parent well. We had no good parenting role models to emulate... just thankful that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us unconditionally!

Here is my girl's letter to us, a set of parents redeemed and able to parent well because of God's grace...
Monday, June 27th, 2011
Dear Mom and Dad,
I don't even know where to start. I love you guys so much. You've given me everything and made me who I am today. I don't even have enough space on this page to tell you how much I love you and how much I need to thank you, but I'll try.
Thank you for teaching me to love God first, others second, and put myself last, and to "do compassion." Thank you for always encouraging me to do my best, being proud of me when I do well, but also teaching me to remember that all of my successes come from God. Thank you for always having my back, and teaching me even the hard lessons, so that I can use these lessons later in life. Thank you for being fun parents who have a sense of humour, and are willing to do crazy and fun stuff with me, and putting up with all of my sports-talk.
Dad, you are the best. I told you that a lot when I was little, but I forget to tell you now, so: You're the best. You've taught me by example to be a hard worker. You've taught me pretty much everything I know about basketball and computers. You're funny and always make me laugh when I'm down. You are such a strong, Godly dad, and you set such a good example for me. You've done so much for me. Thank you. I love you!
Mom, if it weren't for you, my life would pretty much be a non-stop tornado. You remind me to slow down and take a breath ever so often, and to clean my room once in a while. You have such an amazing heart for God and have taught me that it is all nothing without compassion. I love talking with you. You are the best listening ear and advice-giver. Thank you for being the best mom ever. I love you.
To sum it all up: You guys are the best. I love you guys so much.
Your Loving Daughter,
Alyssa
When I love, I give it all I've got, like my mother does. When I'm scared, I bow my head and pray, like my mother does. She's a rock, she is grace. She's an angel, she's my heart and soul. She does it all.
~ Like My Mother Does by Lauren Alaina
You're my hero. Chasing the monsters from my room. Going on trips around the moon. The one who's always been there faithfully. You're my hero. And 'cause you're my Dad, I'm twice as blessed and lucky to be me.
~ You're My Hero by Teresa James
The First Dance... a beautiful father-and-daughter moment! ♥

We are truly blessed beyond measure and grateful that God, in His grace, has given us this privilege to parent such an amazing and beautiful daughter who is truly a grace-gift (#772). God is truly good!

Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - just wow.

    this line...Thank you for teaching me to love God first, others second, and put myself last, and to "do compassion."...that's all a parent could ask for - that their children love God first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful beautiful young lady! I agree with Jill! That line stirred my Mama heart! What a gift to know that our children are serving the Lord!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I raise my son well enough that when he's a teen, he'll write me a letter like that! You are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete