Monday, July 25, 2011

Compassion Philippines

My first blog post from the Philippines!

So surreal... I'm still pinching myself. Our family is finally here, by the grace of God... after 12 years... on a missions immersion trip that is already changing and growing us even only after being here for a few days.

My kids have been soaking in the sights, sounds, smells... it is the First World and the Third World all in one place. Truly heart-breaking... "break my heart for what breaks Yours!"

Street children...

Shanties...

Sidewalk coconut vendor.

More shanties by the side of the road.

Taal Lake and Taal Volcano! Breath-taking!!!

The mountains in Tagaytay City overlooking Taal Volcano.

Mall of Asia - example of First World in the Third World.

But there is HOPE!

That hope is made alive by the people who make up Compassion Philippines.

We visited the offices of Compassion Philippines yesterday and learned about their ministry here. It was an eye-opening and very informative visit. We asked many, many, many questions... and the staff answered each one with absolute transparency. Our whole family left their offices thoroughly impressed!

Here are some photos...







Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh, if I had known you were going to the offices, I would have told you to say hello from us. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there! It was so neat to see who is behind all the interpreting and organizing of all that mail that goes back and forth every year.

    The juxtapostion of wealth and poverty are what amazed me too. I was surprised to see how busy those malls were!!

    Enjoy! And keep posting when you have the opportunity! I'll be waiting with baited breath :o)!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way behind in my blog reading, but I'm excited to catch up on your trip this morning.

    Not sure where you are right now (still there or home) but I'm saying a prayer for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are still here in the Philippines. Tomorrow we meet the LDP student that we are hoping to sponsor. We are very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these pictures! I really hope to go visit my sponsored children someday... and to also go visit headquarters in Colorado Springs. So great to see the you and your family had a wonderful and blessed time!

    ReplyDelete