Monday, December 17, 2012

There Are No Words...

I am utterly heart-broken...
The tragedy that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut this past Friday, there are just no words! I weep at the sight of photos of those beautiful children... I cringe when the news reports how it all unfolded... I get mad reading people's debates about why guns should remain accessible to the public. {Side note: I'm glad they aren't easily accessible here in Canada and I think it should stay that way.}

Friends, the ugly truth is... we live in a broken world. A world where innocent little children can die an evil death. A world where mental illness is very real. A world where private citizens see the need to carry and own guns.

In all this ugliness, it brings me much comfort and deep joy knowing that Jesus chose to be born into our ugly and broken world that very 1st Christmas Day... and that He is going to make all things new.

As I try to process this tragedy... I've come to the conclusion that some things will just remain unfathomable and I will have to settle with shedding tears and a broken heart. But, there's been a few things I read over these last few days that have brought some comfort to my aching heart. 

Here they are... 
"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." ~ Romans 12:21, NIV.
A Christmas Prayer by Max Lucado.
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." ~ Psalm 34:18, NIV.
As for our family, we are choosing to overcome evil with good. Here are our few attempts at it these past few days...

Purchasing "Gifts of Compassion" as Christmas gifts!

Preparing Christmas gift baskets for families in need.

Like-new winter wear... being donated! We don't each need multiple coats!

Grocery list... for a Christmas Dinner for families in need.

Sandwich Run... bagged lunches for the homeless.

Oh, come... oh, come, Emmanuel! 
Jesus Christ who came into this world "not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many," (Mark 10:45) will one day come again and "he will gird himself and have them sit at the table, and he will come and serve them," (Luke 12:37) and even this very day He faithfully serves that we might say, "The Lord is my helper." (Hebrews 13:6)
~ from the book, One Thousand Gifts.
As I continue to count grace-gifts, with unending thanks... to The One is close to the broken-hearted... these are the things I am thankful for this week... #1690 - #1696:
:: Dinner with new friends from church!
:: An opportunity for hubby and I to serve 'the least of these' by washing and massaging the tired feet of homeless folks at an Out of the Cold location. A humbling experience... a holy experience.
:: My son's principal... for speaking into my boy's life and as a result, inspiring him to start reading the devotional, Our Daily Bread. :-)
:: My parents, in town for Christmas.
:: A quiet Saturday, some time to slow-down. 
:: My work-from-home job, for days when children are home sick.
:: The buzz at church on Sunday morning, everyone excited about our faith community being the hands and feet of Jesus this Christmas season to an inner-city community in need.
Happy Monday, friends!
On this day when words don't seem adequate enough, this is my prayer:
Here you can enact eucharisteo; here you can become a current in a river of Grace that redeems the world. Here I can become the blessing, a little life that multiplies joy, making the larger world a better place.
~ Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts.
Let's soar into this new week together, friends... let's do justice, love mercy and walk humbly!


Click on the banner below for more Multitudes on Mondays posts...
Jump in... I promise you will be blessed!



Compassion is a command, an act of worship, a song of thanks to Him.
Do justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly with God!

2 comments:

  1. grace filled words of thanks and truth. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your servant heart! God Bless you and your family this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete